I’ve been Twittering for over 90 days now, and I must say it has been a great tool to build community instantly. While I’ve loved the positive aspect of Twitter, I must, in all fairness to those of you who are new to this social network or are contemplating signing on, share my experience with Twitter’s dark side. In case you’re wondering about my list, not all of it happened to me. Ok, most of the list is “loosely based” on my personal experience. Well, maybe all of it is. Ok, enough already. Here’s my top 10 ways you can get in trouble with Twitter:
10. Post fun tweets about your Vegas vacation and watch some crazy, anonymous fundamentalist jerk turn you into this money-spending, luxury-loving, pleasure-driven Satanist on his loser hate blog. (Do I sound bitter?). I guess what happens in Vegas should really stay there.
9. Post about a new time-sensitive initiative your business is about to deploy and watch your competition try to beat you to it. (You know who you are.)
8. Post a picture of your sister-in-law in a bathing suit. Enough said!
7. Post a mindless tweet about “making hard business decisions” and watch your entire organization get worked up into a frenzy.
6. Twitter about an anonymous “difficult client” and get calls and emails from 10 people asking, “Are you talking about me?” Yes, yes and yes!
5. Secretly twitter from the jury box during a trial. It’s fun until you get caught.
4. Twitter about leaving early from an event because it “gave me such a headache” and get a call later from the event organizer in tears caused by your insensitivity.
3. Twitter what you find cute or funny about your children only to hear “Dad, I can’t believe you twittered that! Isn’t anything sacred?”
2. Name a friend on a tweet who is supposed to be sick and in bed and watch him get a call from his boss during your two-hour outdoor lunch.
1. Twitter details of your anniversary dinner, including pictures of every course and then hear “if this were our first date, it would be our last.”
This is my list. What’s yours? Do share. I’d love to compile a list to share with Twits world wide.